Sunday, April 20, 2008

Creating My Messenger




My pen and ink bird not the IMS thingy. I have been very busy today and this is the first opportunity I have had for any blogging (22.45 GMT) and getting very close to bedtime. I seem to have spent all day being busy but when I try to figure out exactly what I have achieved, the answer is a big, fat and hairy zilch with bells on. Nothing, in plain English.


But that is not entirely true. I have finished my latest drawing and it is entitled "The Messenger". It is a stylised bird carrying a message in the form of a green sprig but no-one knows what the message is or who it is for - not even me. I am very into headgear in my drawings at the moment and particularly crowns and I like them to adorn man and beast. A bird always looks better in a crown I think.


I have included a picture of the pen and ink drawing in progress this afternoon along with my original sketch and the full sized pre-drawing sketch on white paper. (You may need to click on the picture above to get a larger version.) I did the little picture in my brown sketch book round about Christmas time but have only just got around to making it into a proper drawing. The final image is pen and ink with a few small areas of watercolour. As always the original is far better than the scanned image but you only have my word for that....ha ha.

2 comments:

Old World Primitives said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I really like this drawing, especially the tree branches and your choices of color. The element of mystery is cool too. :)

Cathy said...

Thanks Stephanie. This is one of my favourites too. I love drawing birds.